Much like getting replacement windows, getting new siding is a straightforward process, especially when you’re working with a reputable contractor. However, while you may have entrusted your exterior improvement project to the experts, it won’t hurt to understand a few key terms related to siding replacement.
- Board and Batten – Board and batten siding refer to a siding style where “battens” are installed over the gaps between boards. Battens are essentially strips of siding material that seal joints.
- Channel – The area on a siding piece that lets trim or another piece of siding to be inserted in
- Drip Cap – Also known as head flashing, it refers to trim pieces used to deflect water away from the tops of vertical siding.
- Exposure – Sometimes referred to as “reveal”, it points to how wide a siding board is.
- Face – The portion of the siding that is visible after installation
- Lap – Short for “overlap”, it is a siding style where one panel is installed in such a way that it overlaps with another siding panel. Lap siding is best at hiding fastening nails, providing home exteriors with a seamless appearance.
- Miter Joint – Where two siding panels meet at a 90-degree angle
- Plumb – Also known as “square”, it refers to a perfectly perpendicular measurement exactly 90 degrees from a horizontal surface. In simpler terms, plumb siding is the opposite of crooked siding.
- Siding Square – A measurement that refers to a siding piece sized 10 x 10 feet
- Tongue and Groove – A type of interlocking system, it features a “tongue” that fits into the adjacent “groove” on another siding piece.
- Weep Holes – Tiny holes located at the bottom of siding to provide condensation with a way out, they prevent water buildup between siding and backerboards.
Ready for a Siding Replacement?
Woodbridge Home Exteriors is the exterior improvement expert to trust for all your needs. Whether you’re looking for new siding or are interested in storm window installation, you can count on our experts to deliver. To learn more about what we can do for you, simply give us a call at (800) 728-3502 or fill out our contact form. Talk to us today! We serve Wichita, Topeka and Salina, as well as the surrounding KS communities.